Monday, January 24, 2011

Nature Blog Prompt 1

Sitting on the steps of my secret place, I’m not sure if the environment mixes with the culture. I know if I take a few steps back this place wouldn’t hold the same experience. I can still hear the traffic all around me. I’m not sure where the noise is coming from, but one thing is for certain, it makes the place less significant to me. I’m all by myself, which I think is surreal, since it’s hard to find places in the city to be by yourself.
It’s here where I can be isolated from the city. Maybe during the summertime it would be different. I can imagine people running around or playing Frisbee with their dogs. During the winter season, it’s much different. It looks like I’m the only person who has been here for weeks. I can still see the shoe prints that I made the day before. It’s a weird feeling knowing I was the only person here yesterday.
I mean it makes sense. It’s cold outside. Why would anyone want to walk around in the snow in the freezing cold? I ask myself this question while walking in the snow. Am I the product of the environment or is the environment the product of me? I enjoy the isolation of it all. I like the fact no one bothers me and I don’t see any cars. Will this place exist in ten years? I can see the higher people making this into a parking lot or maybe a tennis court. It makes me sad to think this place will soon disappear and I was the only one who got to enjoy it on this cold day.

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps you'll find a way to look past the city distractions, like the traffic, while you're experiencing this place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the idea of seeing your own footsteps as a way of realizing that you're the only one who has been in that particular place. I think our footprints are a great literal image, but they also have a wonderful symbolic potential. I forget who's blog had a picture of deer tracks in the snow, but it made me think of the image of isolation that you presented. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete